Sunday, June 04, 2006

Money on Shabbat

Canonist pointed me to this item at the New York Times:-

Dear Diary:

On a Saturday morning a few weeks ago, I was walking to my synagogue on the Upper West Side when I was approached by a disheveled-looking man who said, "Excuse me, are you observing the Shabbat?"

A bit wary, and more than a bit confused, I answered in the affirmative, to which he replied, "Oh, then I won't ask you for any money," and walked away.

Only in New York are the panhandlers multiculturally aware enough to know that Orthodox Jews do not carry money on the Jewish Sabbath.

Aviva Bieler



Which reminds me of the old (and worn) joke that Rav Shlomo Goren once many years ago was said to have authorized the carrying of Israeli currency up to 100 Lirot.

The reason?

It's not real worth anything.

No comments: