Sunday, December 02, 2007

What Would "Jewess" Comment?

Found this at the NYTimes:-

Shana Beth Warshawsky, the daughter of Julie Warshawsky and Robert Warshawsky of Howell, N.J., was married on Thursday evening to Arye Dworken, the son of Susan H. Dworken of Teaneck, N.J., and the late Rabbi Steven M. Dworken. Rabbi Shmuel Silber officiated at the Puck Building in Manhattan.

The bride, 26, will be known as Mrs. Dworken.



Oh, my gosh!

So old-fashioned.

So un-feminist.

What is the brave new world coming to? (or is that: To what is the brave new world coming?)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Jewess" would comment: To each her own.
Though I am surprised by the number of people who don't know the difference between Mrs., Ms. and Miss.

YMedad said...

I know the difference!

One says Yes,
one says No,
one says Maybe.
No?

Anonymous said...

The bride in question is actually one heckuva feminist. Do you actually know her?

YMedad said...

No, I actually don't. But my daughter, who is a lawyer and who finished her MA at Hebrew U., who teaches law clinic classes, went back to do Yeshiva studies (in a Bet Midrash environment at MATAN) and just gave birth to her third within 5 years, goes by her maiden name and her husband's name so I figured if she does it, just to be Mrs. _____ is old-fashioned. But if she is feminist, does she know Rose Landowne?

Teach said...

My friend just forwarded me this post. You don't know me yet you feel entitled (maybe as male) to make assumptions about me. I'm not sure why being traditional means that I'm not a feminist. But I'm not sure why my choices are any of your business.

YMedad said...

First of all, Mazal Tov!

Secondly, I make assumptions actually because I am a human, and would expect any human, male or female to make assumptions - otherwise where would science and philosphy be?

Third, I was being a bit frivolously humorous, so please, don't get upset. I have loads of Sunday NYTimes Wedding announcement posts, some much "worse" than this. But, appearing at the NYTimes, in a public forum, it sure is my business, otherwise you wouldn't have asked the NYTimes to include that bit of information, would you?

And do you know Rose?