Wednesday, April 09, 2008

At Least Know Your Hebrew

In a previous post, I had commented on Yonatan Mendel who flayed forth in the London Review of Books, getting all frothy and stuff.

Doesn't aprpeciate Israel's presence in the territories and misrepresented a few things.

Yael Lotan is very lefty but even she couldn't hold back on this translation corruption:

Language of Occupation

Yonatan Mendel translates the verb keter as ‘crowning’ (LRB, 6 March). Keter does mean ‘crown’, but the root verb ktr means ‘circle’, and the verb used in the military sense (lekhater) means ‘to encircle’, not ‘to crown’ (which would be lehakhtir).

Yael Lotan
Givatayim, Israel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

to Mr. Yisrael,
didn't you find anything else to talk about???
i'm thankful for yonatan mendel for making me see the thing as they really are!!
he was the only journalist who tell the truth!!
so leave him alone!!!!!!!!

YMedad said...

Actually I do have and I do write. I think this blog is quite eclectic but I do keep track of people who fail to tell the truth, twist facts and create untruths.

And that's a lot of exclamation points you use.