Monday, September 01, 2008

A Wolf in a Shalwar, Or Will Naomi Do A Mikva Next?

I experienced it myself. I put on a shalwar kameez and a headscarf in Morocco for a trip to the bazaar. Yes, some of the warmth I encountered was probably from the novelty of seeing a Westerner so clothed; but, as I moved about the market - the curve of my breasts covered, the shape of my legs obscured, my long hair not flying about me - I felt a novel sense of calm and serenity. I felt, yes, in certain ways, free.


(and quite sensual, it would seem).

That's Naomi Wolf writing.

And this is Naomi:



writing here:
Behind the veil lives a thriving Muslim sexuality


But then, she goes Jewish:

Islam and Judaism never had that same kind of mind-body split. So, in both cultures, sexuality channeled into marriage and family life is seen as a source of great blessing, sanctioned by God.

This may explain why both Muslim and Orthodox Jewish women not only describe a sense of being liberated by their modest clothing and covered hair, but also express much higher levels of sensual joy in their married lives than is common in the West. When sexuality is kept private and directed in ways seen as sacred - and when one's husband isn't seeing his wife (or other women) half-naked all day long - one can feel great power and intensity when the headscarf or the chador comes off in the the home.


So, does Naomi do a miqva, monthly? Or does she just slum in in the shuq?

No comments: