Friday, October 10, 2008

Hummus Politics

No, not the Zohan.

My Mom’s Hummus Recipe

I'm sitting at home reading a Bloomberg wire report about one of my favorite foods -- hummus.

..."It's mostly Israeli companies claiming all our specialities as their own," said Fady Abboud, president of the group. "So many of our specialties are being marketed now as Israeli traditional dishes and among the most famous is hummus."

Abboud wants the EU to grant the hummus legal protection, the same way that the Greeks were given protection for feta, the French for champagne, and the Italians for parmesan cheese.

Now, I don't want to interfere in a international trade dispute.

Suffice it to say that my mother Rose was born in Lebanon.

And she made perhaps the best hummus I've ever had.

And I've had a lot of hummus. Hummus is nutritious. And delicious. It makes you stronger and healthier.

So, Bloomberg's report on the Lebanese claim to hummus got me to thinking about an idea that would help us raise funds to push our substantive agenda onto the front burner of American politics.

Here it is:

If you donate to Nader/Gonazlez by midnight tonight an amount that has the number three in it (three being the number of lemons in my mom's hummus recipe), we'll e-mail to you Rose Nader's hummus recipe tomorrow.

That simple.



(Kippah tip: Hotline via Wonkette)

No comments: