Thursday, July 02, 2009

At the Jerusalem Consulate-General

July 4th is on Saturday which is the Shabbat. So, in consideration of Jews and Muslims in Jerusalem, the U.S. Consulate-General Independence Day bash was Thursday evening.

My and my wife's invitation:




So, off we went:





The amount of clergymen was quite noticeable:































Above, my wife enjoying the Kosher table food provided by Menucha v'Simcha Caterers. I had the ice cream, too.




I had prepared something to wear around my neck, instead of an identification card, but didn't get the opportunity to utilize it:

I’M PRO-“NATURAL GROWTH”
JUST ASK ME HOW

----------
THERE’S NOTHING MORE NATURAL
THAN A JEW LIVING IN
THE JEWISH NATIONAL HOME




Jake Walles speaking:






My wife's observations are here.

7 comments:

Batya said...

Stay tuned to Shiloh Musings about my review of the event.
I had to grit my teeth and grimmace.

YMedad said...

Well, you did ungrit your teeth as your post was on the food.

grumpy said...

people don't come in amounts. they come in numbers.

YMedad said...

Grumpy, I think it's a toss-up:

a) a·mount
n.
1. The total of two or more quantities; the aggregate.
2. A number; a sum.
3. A principal plus its interest, as in a loan.
4. The full effect or meaning; import.
5. Quantity: a great amount of intelligence.

b) "Amount words relate to quantities of things that are measured in bulk; number to things that can be counted."

c) but: "The most common mistake of this kind is to refer to an “amount” of people instead of a “number” of people."

So, since I was referring to a specific class of persons, i.e., clergymen, I think amount is an okay usage.

haivri said...

I liked and posted to my facebook:

I’M PRO-“NATURAL GROWTH”
JUST ASK ME HOW
----------
THERE’S NOTHING MORE NATURAL
THAN A JEW LIVING IN
THE JEWISH NATIONAL HOME


Maybe we should produce buttons with that wording.

Batya said...

me-ander was about the food
Shiloh Musings was about that speech.

yoni said...

>"but: "The most common mistake of this kind is to refer to an “amount” of people instead of a “number” of people."

so, i don't really see where you're going with this...