Tuesday, May 04, 2010

On Nobility

From a David Ohana piece, responding to an attack on Talmon and Leibowitz:-

...[Israel] Harel and his settler friends are in fact anti-Zionists who have abandoned the classic religious Zionism...The rabbis and the settlers have taken control of the Bnei Akiva youth movement, and instead of theological humility they have displayed a metaphysical arrogance. Instead of religious Zionists connected to the reality of Israeli society, they have become exploiters living in a bubble of alienation, an intellectual wilderness.

They have not internalized the Zionist revolution that made us sovereign in our own land, preferring to be victims. They have forsaken the nobility of a sovereign who is self-confident enough to be willing to compromise, choosing instead to be the hypocritical bully. They have ignored everyone around them, the secular Israelis and the Palestinians, the poor and the migrant workers, so they have never taken part in a struggle for social justice.


Besides that libelous claim of not taking part in acts of social justice, that bit of nobility reminded me of the Betar Oath, especially one verse of the Oath Poem containing this by Jabotinsky:-


הדר: מדם גדעון נזרעתי, לכמוני
הדר ניני מלכות בלב, בגו, בכל:
יהיר בפני שרים, ענו עומת בן – עני,
גובר – כדי למחול.



My translation:

Hadar: I am begotten of the seed from Gideon's blood, and as I am, my nobility is of generations of royalty - in my heart, my stature and my all;
Proud before princes, humble to the poor,
Powerful so I can forgive.


To be noble doesn't mean to be self-confident so to be able to compromise. And sovereignty is not to be yielded for otherwise you harm your own people.

That is Ohana's warped misrepresentation of our needs as Zionists.

No comments: