Thursday, October 14, 2010

Now We Have "Burkha Rage"

Reported:

'Burka rage' teacher faces jail in France after ripping off Muslim woman's face veil

A retired teacher is facing three years in prison for ripping off a Muslim’s face veil in the world’s first known case of ‘burka rage’. The 63-year-old woman, so far only referred to by her first name Marlene, appeared before the Paris Correctional Court to defend her attack on Shaika, 26, who originally comes from the United Arab Emirates.

The happened in February when both women were out shopping in an upmarket suburb of the French capital, with Marlene claiming: ‘For me the wearing of the veil is an aggressive act, there is no burka in my country.’
The case comes at an extremely sensitive time as France has just banned the burka and the niqab following an impassioned public debate more than two years.

Marlene, who is accused of aggravated violence, is said to have ‘lost control’ when she saw Shaika choosing furniture in a department store.
‘I knew I would crack one day,’ said Marlene. ‘This whole saga of the burka was really getting to me.’

Speaking in English to her victim, Marlene, who has taught in Morocco and Saudi Arabia, said: ‘I told her to take off the veil she had on her face. I grabbed and pulled it. ‘To me wearing a full veil is an attack on being a woman. As a woman, I felt attacked.’

Oh, oh.


.

No comments: