Wednesday, August 15, 2012

This is Jewish Responsibility

From a Bar-Mitzva speech of E., grandson of very dear friends and fellow-Betarim:-


In living as a Jew, it is not enough to simply remember the past.  We have to think about our continuity for the future.  If I forget my heritage and my history and no longer live under Hashem's commandments, chances are, I will not feel it is important to marry someone who is Jewish.  If I marry someone who is not Jewish, immediately, my  children will not be Jewish and my family chain that has lasted nearly 5,773 years, will end with me.  That's it.  It will be over.  I will be responsible for ending my Jewish family history forever.  Even if I do marry a Jewish woman and I do not follow Hashem's commandments, I will not know enough to teach my children about who they are and again, will be responsible for destroying that chain of history forever.  However, if I DO live as a proud Jew and follow Hashem's laws, I am doing my part to ensure the continuity of my people from my past to my future.  If I am lucky enough to be the father of proud Jewish children then I know I will have prospered as well.



Some 13-year olds are so wise beyond their years.

^

No comments: