Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Yechiel Kadishai is 90

Yechiel Kadishai celebrated his 90th birthday last night at the Begin Center.

He was Menachem Begin's personal political secretary for three decades.  He was a Betari, member of the Irgun, fought in the ranks of the Brigade in World War II, participated in the demolition attack on the British Embassy in Rome and was a Betar emissary to South Africa.

The Begin Center's Archives are in his honor.

I first met Yechiel in 1966 when, during my year as a participant on the Machon L'Madrichei Chutz La'Aretz program, I was requested by my leaders to purchase 10 copies of Begin's memoirs, The Revolt, have him sign them and send them back to the US so that the movement could sell them for much more than what I paid for them, including the post.  What financial brilliance we possessed then.

On recommendation, I called Yechiel and he told me to come to the Knesset where he would take the books and shortly thereafter return them, signed.  Which he did.

And we've been friends ever since.

From last night:









The Arutz 7 Hebrew report with a video and more pics.

^

No comments: