Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Galliano: Jews - A Race

Reported:

Fashion designer John Galliano, in his first-ever sober interview, tells Vanity Fair contributing editor Ingrid Sischy that, in spite of his words, he is not an anti-Semite or a racist. “It’s the worst thing I have said in my life, but I didn’t mean it. . . . I have been trying to find out why that anger was directed at this race. I now realize I was so fucking angry and so discontent with myself that I just said the most spiteful thing I could.”

And a bit of stereotyping:

...Galliano has spent the last couple of years learning about what he has to do to keep his illness at bay, facing up to what went wrong in his life, and taking certain steps to atone, including reading books on the Holocaust and Jewish history, meeting with Jewish leaders [including Rabbi Barry Marcus, of London's Central Synagogue, and Abe Foxman, head of the Anti-Defamation League], and reaching out to members of the larger fashion community, including retailers, as part of the process of making amends and possibly returning to work.

It's tough shedding anti-Semitism.

^

No comments: