Monday, May 15, 2006

He Too Apologized

A.B. Yehoshua sends 'deepest apologies' for AJC remarks

First Rabbi Meir Goldwicht (*) and now Professor Yehoshua. Both had run-ins of 'misunderstandings' with their audiences.


Israeli author A.B. Yehoshua has expressed his "deepest apologies" over comments he made at the recent American Jewish Committee's (AJC) centennial symposium in the U.S., in which he asserted that only Israel, and not Judaism, could ensure the survival of the Jewish people.

"Reverberations from the first evening of the conference have made me realize, to my distress, that a not-insignificant portion of the audience was offended by the tone of my remarks, as well as by part of their content," he writes in a letter to delegates to the AJC symposium.

"I wish, therefore, to express to them my deepest apologies," he writes. "Everything I said about the partial nature of Jewish life in the Diaspora as opposed to the all-inclusive nature of Jewish life in Israel has been said by me over the course of many years in the past, both in print and in addressing numerous Diaspora Jews.

"Never before did this lead to such an angry reaction as it did this time. Presumably, there was something in my tone and imprecise formulation that insulted part of the audience. I say "part," because there were also those who came up afterwards to thank me - which does not, of course, compensate for the feelings of the others.

"The debate between us is a basic one that goes to the root of things. But we are one people, and I have never ceased to stress this cardinal principal. Nor was there anything in what I said at the conference that called it into question. Once again, permit me to apologize to anyone whose feelings I have hurt."


Yehoshua said that his use of the term "plug-and-play" Judaism, which offended people in the audience, was not meant to imply that they related to their Judaism as nothing more than "a game," but was simply taken from a philanthropy conference in Denver several months ago, titled "Plug-and-play Judaism."


(*) See here and here

No comments: