Monday, October 10, 2016

Let's Pretend to Be a Journalist

I see/receive this item:

NABLUS, October 10, 2016 (WAFA) – Israeli settlers on Monday attacked Palestinians harvesting olives near the village of Qaryout, south of Nablus, according to local sources.  Ghassan Daghlas, who monitors settlement activities in the north of the West Bank, told WAFA that dozens of Israeli settlers attacked Palestinian olive pickers and smashed the windshields of their vehicles.

If I am here more than a year or so, this is what I should be doing:

a) call up Daghlas for more details.

b) in checking back, I realize that the man has lied and/or exaggerated in the past.

c) to be careful, I ask for a picture or the name of a contact on the site to speak with.

d) I check the map after asking him exactly which grove was the site of the reported violence.

e) I call up local health services and ask, like I do with Israel's Magen Adom, for details.

f) I call up someone from either Shiloh or Eli which are the two closest Jewish communities or, if I have actually done item "d", I can see which community is closest, maybe Achiyah, and call there.

g) if I do not have contacts there, because I haven't developed any, I call up Miri who is the foreign media spokesperson, actually, Director, International Desk, Binyamin Regional Council, and make sure I got a reaction/response/clarification and make sure to include that in my report.

h) if I have the time, realizing that a report like this falls into the annual "olive harvesters attacked by Jews" template and even may be an attempt to draw attention away from more serious Arab terror acts, I'd drive out there.  I'd even take the opportunity to talk about the "new settlement" in the Shiloh Bloc the State Department attacked, viciously, and expand the story.

Well, let's wait and see what happens.

__________________

UPDATE

Miri told me our emergency HQ hadn't heard anything.

I see now a clip of a smashed car in Qaryut.  Seems in the village.

From an olive grove.

___________________

NEW UPDATE

Ma'an claims Eli residents involved.


^


No comments: